Sunday, May 20, 2007

Doing well in Beirut

Well, its been a long time since my last post and I have tried to post a few times, but I really wanted to post pictures along with my words (they seem so much more interesting to me). Unfortunately, the Internet access that I get here (in really nice coffee shops - what a luxury!) is a little slow and doesn't seem to be able to upload the pictures. I really wish that I could as it is so beautiful here. Hopefully when I go to Tunis on Saturday I'll find a better Internet connection and post some old pictures. I think I've probably written this before, but I think Beirut is really one of the most charming places I've ever been. The city is located on the Mediterranean - allowing me to run along the beach in the morning and watch the sunset over the sea in the evening. In addition, the streets are narrow and have a distinct French flair to their style. The people are lovely, super friendly and polite (and very fashionable). I've been doing quite a bit of reading and relaxing. Some of my favorite activities are making dinner with Will and playing Scrabble. Its nice to have a little time off with such wonderful company.

We have done some exploring around the country. Its a pretty small country (geographically speaking) and most places are only a 1 or 2 hour bus ride away. Last weekend, we went to Tripoli. While we were there we wandered around the old part of the city (it has to be one of the oldest cities I've ever been in) and met a really amazing woman who makes soap. We also have gone to the southern part of the country. We visited a castle the Crusaders built and walked again on the beach. Both trips were fantastic.

Yesterday (Sunday morning) there was some fighting in Tripoli (you can visit this BBC website if you are interested http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6675163.stm). It really makes me horribly sad that such a beautiful place with such wonderful people is having these problems. But, besides my sadness for the Lebanese people, I am fine and very safe.