Thursday, July 05, 2007

Last Last in a Watermelon Eating Contest

Arabic is going along well, although I can't believe how quickly time passes and that the program will be over at the end of next week- oh my! Its been an interesting experience: we have an incredibly large amount of highly structured activities on weekends (like we go on a field trip almost every weekend), we have lots of time at the school during the day, and everyone lives in the same hotel. The result is that I feel like I am at summer camp, only with tests in Arabic.

Last weekend was one of our few "free" weekends. Most people traveled around the country. I stayed at the hotel and had quite a relaxing experience. On Saturday, I had lunch with a few new friends and then headed to the beach for some swimming and sun. On Sunday, the American Embassy in Tunisia had a 4th of July party. It was an interesting event. There was a navy band that played music (they sounded just like the songs on the radio) and they said that they spent the whole year just traveling from place to place playing music. Doesn't seem like too bad a job. They also had a BBQ. The invitation said they would have veggie burgers and at first they were very reluctant to make these, but after some "strong" requesting, they pulled them out of the freezer and made a couple. I ate two and they were pretty good (I think they were my first American made veggie burgers in over a year....). Most excitingly, I participated in the watermelon eating competition. My motivation for this was that I wanted some watermelon - its really good here in Tunisia. Surprising, I came in last place. And I think I've satisfied my desire for watermelon for a good long while.

Tomorrow morning, we are heading to the south of Tunisia to see the Sahara and ride camels. I'll take some pictures of the travels and tell all early next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment