Monday, September 11, 2006

Home from vacation, with pictures!


Back Home in Lucknow! Its nice to be here, although I miss Will horribly. Organized classes will start tomorrow and I am excited about getting back into the routine. I am living in the same place as I was during the summer. Sadly, my roommate is gone, but there are many other students living in the house and they all seem to be great fun, so I am sure the year will not lack for companionship. When I left Lucknow, my neighbors were working day and night building something. When I returned yesterday, I found that they had built an ashram, complete with incense and music all day and for a part of the night. As long as the celebrations are not everyday, I think it will be an interesting addition to the neighborhood. Now I can sit on the roof, listen to music, and watch the moon. Not too bad. The other wonderful new addition is the wireless internet at the house I live in. Hooray! Now I can stay up too late (like now) updating the blog.

Ok, so this is not the monkee that broke into my hotel room in the mountains. It is not the monkee that ate my vegan cookie that I had been saving for months and it is not the monkee that I am sure jumped on my bed. But she is probably related to that bad monkee. In fact, they probably are, the shify eyes tipped me off.

I am starting to think that animals like to eat weird things. Monkees go straight to precious vegan cookies and cows eat anything. This cow lives in the mountains and likes to eat cardboard. Doesn't he look content? Isn't it interesting the cardboard is eaten before all the green stuff behind him? Goats seem even less descerning in their food consumption. Around my house in Lucknow there are a lot of political posters. Almost always the bottoms of these posters are torn off. I thought people did this because they disagreed with the political messages in them, but I was waiting for a rickshaw one day and noticed that it was actually the goats eating them from the walls.

But I didn't only see animals on my vacation. Although there are a lot of animals to see. I also saw a monument or 4. All in a day or two. The best part of the monuments is that some of them are surrounded by these lovely gardens that are quite cool compared to the heat of Delhi.


Outside of the city, we walked in the mountains or laid on the beach. The beaches of Goa were amazing and I hope to return to them one day. One could walk for miles along certain stretches and not run into people. In other areas, there were fisherman and we were able to watch them pull in their nets. Such hard work, all done manually. The men got out of the boats and pulled a rope and children sitting nearby would help. It was beautiful to watch at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment